There are many small steps that watershed residents can take to improve the health of the watershed.
- Leave a vegetated buffer along stream banks to prevent erosion.
- Conserve water: Take shorter showers, turn off the taps, repair breaks or leaks, only wash full loads of laundry.
- Collect rain water for gardening.
- Reduce chemical inputs: Use eco-friendly, natural cleaning products and hygiene products. Reduce fertilizer and use organic products on lawns and gardens and clean up pet waste.
- Participate in local tree-planting or stream cleanup events.
- Plant a rain garden of hardy, native, deep-rooted plants that will collect and filter runoff before it reaches the river.
- Get to know your river! Walk, bike or run the trails, or paddle the waters!