The NWAI’s long term goal is to manage the Nashwaak watershed as a healthy ecosystem that balances a variety of economic, recreational, social, and landowner interests so that it will serve the community while maintaining a healthy resource for generations to come. We strive towards this goal so that eventually:
· Healthy natural areas are protected and expanded through acquisition and restoration projects;
· The Nashwaak River and its tributaries are green corridors that connect to forested upland;
· Pollution sources are addressed and reduced;
· Native fish species thrive and salmon return in greater numbers; and
· The Nashwaak River becomes a role model for how people, wildlife, and the river can live together in harmony.
The Nashwaak River watershed should be managed as a healthy ecosystem that balances a variety of economic, recreational, social and landowner interests. All stakeholders on the Nashwaak are committed to sustaining the scenic and serene nature of the watershed in a manner consistent with the pursuits of all user groups. The Nashwaak River watershed should serve the community while maintaining a healthy resource for generations to come.